Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

2009 Turkey Outreach


Tomorrow I will be up bright and early to partake in my church's annual Turkey Outreach. The mission of Turkey Outreach is to "distribute Thanksgiving dinners in order to foster ongoing gospel-centered relationships with families in need." The church does this through raising money, requesting donations, boxing food and delivering boxes to organizations & individuals in need this holiday season. As I mentioned, I will be at the church around 6 a.m. tomorrow morning. This is because this is the time that all of the grocery trucks arrive at the church and the unloading and set up begins. We have to create assembly lines that start with building boxes and end with inserting a track, sealing the box, and loading it onto the truck for delivery. We add everything from a huge turkey, a sack of potatoes, green beans, stuffing, etc into each box. Each box feeds a family of 10 and we assemble 6,500 boxes. That means, we are feeding 65,000 people in the DC Metro area! It amazes me how year after year, hundreds of people turn out to help this great cause, and how such mass chaos gets the job done in an orderly fashion. I am ecstatic to be part of Turkey Outreach for my 3rd year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment