Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Back Track 5

Birthday Celebration: Day 2

I woke up with a nice little headache after a fun night at POV. This led to an amazing late morning nap with the windows open, birds chirping, and a peaceful smile on my face. I did my best not to let my "to do list" get the best of me, as it usually does on days off from work! Mid-afternoon, I headed to my parents house for a fun birthday dinner. I did not want anything fancy, so we opted for PF Changs take out on the back deck! It is not often these days that I get to enjoy meals on the deck with my family, so I took this opportunity for all it was worth! My mom pulled together pretty place settings while my dad and I took the convertible to pick up the food! Boy do I love family time!


Meanwhile, my sister surprised the heck out of me by making my favorite cake EVER!!! My mom has been making this cake for as long as I can remember. We call it Watergate Cake. These days my mom has proclaimed that my sister and I can bake better than she can, so she has given up all baking responsibilities (well, for the most part. Mom - you still make some mean cookies!). Heres the beaut!


My dad is a clever lil fella, and when it was time for dessert, he shoved a huge candle in the center (and we laughed at the enormous hole it created ....) One big candle is better than the number of candles necessary for my age. :::frown:::


Watergate Cake Recipe:
1 box white cake mix
1 box instant pistachio pudding
3 eggs
1/2 cup Wesson oil (canola, vegetable, corn, or best blend oil)
1 cup ginger ale soda
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
*Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together & blend for 3 minutes. Pour into two well greased, floured 9" pans. Bake for 30 minutes.
Icing:
1 box instant pistachio pudding
1 box Dream Whip (use all envelopes included in box - we find it at Giant Foods grocery)
1 1/2 cups milk
*In mixer, beat until thickened. Chill until cool. Spread icing in between layers and on top / sides of cake.
*Note: You can use Cool Whip if Dream Whip is not available, but do not add milk if you choose this option


No comments:

Post a Comment