Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Reminiscing Charleston

I DID IT!!! I ran the Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, SC. This past Saturday, April 4, was the 32rd Annual Cooper River Bridge Run, and for many it was not their first time tackling "the bridge", but for moi, it was my first and I was scared! I did not know what to expect or how my little legs would carry me on a 1 mile uphill climb. We woke up at 4:30 a.m. to get a good breakfast under our belts and get downtown to catch the shuttle over to Mt. Pleasant on the other side of the bridge. 2 quick miles to the bridge, about 1 1/2 miles up and over with another (just under) 3 miles to the finish line. The palm tree lined streets were filled with cheering photo taking fans and my ipod couldn't play music loud enough! 57 minutes and 2 seconds later, I crossed that finish line clearing both of my goals, 1) to run the whole 6.2 miles and 2) to finish in under 1 hour. After the race, I talked about "the bridge" all day long and still smile when I think about my accomplishment! (next training goal: the Army 10 miler and a half marathon!!!). The picture above was taken after we crossed the finish line, scarfed down apples, oranges, bananas, muffins and bagels and were finally happy campers. Below are a few pictures of the race course taken by a girl I met who walked it.

Starting Line ... all 37, 800 excited racers!

Heading up to "the bridge"

(I am too lazy to flip this photo, sorry!) Almost to the bridge!

a view of the racers

Tackled the bridge, now into downtown!

the FINISH line!!!!

Mad River for a post-race beer cheer
Lindsey & I with my new friends Mallory & Molly

Celebratory Girls Night Out - Downtown, Vendue Rooftop

My Charleston Friends: Lindsey, Matt & Mike

Next Day: Sullivan's Island, Poe's Tavern

I'm a Poe's Virgin!

Driving across the Cooper River Bridge after the race - Look how big it is!!!

Goodbye Bridge. I will run you over again March 27, 2010.

Last Day Photo's: Lindsey, me & Christie

SWEETBELTS!

We are so sad the weekend is over =(


These are just a few pictures from my incredible Charleston weekend. I have not laughed so much in years, and I am able to walk away from just 4 short days with this reflection:
Good Friends are hard to find. Good Friends
who are there for you through thick and thin, always make you smile, and will go
to the end with you, are even harder. I value my friendships more than
ever.
Distance will never come in the way of
a great friend. Near or far we are friends forever.
Charleston is an absolutely incredible town. I fell in love while I was there and I am definitely contemplating a BIG move down there for a few life experiences. I know I must remain rational in my thinking, but it is tough. The beach, downtown, boutiques, incredible food, nice people, warm weather ... really? (I am trying to ignore the fact that I have friends there that I love because I want to make sure I move for myself. Sorry friends. Even though you know I love you!!) What more is there to think about? Oh. A job. An apartment. Being far away from my family. Its a tough decision!! Since I have been home, things have just not been the same. I am trying, but I think I left a piece of my heart in South Carolina. No worries though. I'll be back in May to leave another piece. For now, it is back to the DC life. I am starting to work on my "spring projects" which consists of purchasing new furniture for my home, planting herbs/plants/flowers, framing pictures, and exploring DC (while I'm here..muuuahahha)!!!!!
I must mention that this trip to Marco Island (the 6 days prior to being in Charleston) was my most favorite trip to date! I had nothing to worry about, the weather was beyond incredible (almost 90 & sunny every day) and it was the BEST family time! The seafood down there makes my mouth water .... Pictures from the trip will be posted soon!

** Check out Lindsey's blog for great pictures and details of the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment