Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Spread Your Wings and Fly



Destination: Europe

Departure Date: Today

Length of Stay: Unknown

Memories: Endless

Nerves: Kicking In

Today is the day! E is off to go backpacking through Europe and ultimately check off one of her "life goals". I spent the weekend with her, soaking up my face time and doing my best to keep the spirits high all the way around. The packing check list is stressful and all of the "Remember this" and "Remember that's" are intimidating. I can only imagine how she feels. She began planning this so long ago and over the month's she has had highs and lows. She wants it to hurry up and get here, but saying goodbye and realizing that life will be so different is hard to swallow. We try to remind her that she will always have family and friends ecstatic for her return and although life may not be the same, she will not be on the same stone as she was when she left either. She will return with new memories, experiences, friends, and stories (and a whole lot less money ... especially if she becomes fond of European beer and wine). Her next stepping stone may not be one she expected to take prior to her departure, but that is what life is all about, right? It is time to turn over a new leaf, brave the world, and be free.

I am selfish. I don't want her to go. I will miss my little partner in crime and the person that I can always (well, 99% of the time) count on. She is the one person who can make me laugh at any time and who will always look on the bright side. She is my wardrobe stylist and my humanitarian. >> I have not yet booked a trip to visit her as she has somewhat of a "catch me if you can" attitude, but if it works out, I can guarentee it will be the trip of a lifetime, to date. She says I "mother her", which is partially true although unintentional, and I feel as though this is my chance to tell her to spread her wings and fly. I was always there to watch over her, whether it be elementary school, high school or college, and for once, I can't do that. I can only imagine how my parents feel.

With all that being said, I plan on updating my blog with a new section called "E's Notes". Here I will share U.S. events, celebrity gossip, family/friend updates, and other random "must know" facts that would otherwise take too many minutes (and Euro's) surfing to find in cybercafe's. After all, I would rather her spend her money on postcards (and gifts) for me and not on minutes on the internet ... yeah, I said it.

I am off to take her to the airport .... followed by tears .... and probably a few (coping) beers. If you wish to send your well wishes to E, her e-mail address is (firstname).(lastname)@gmail.com. Please keep her in your prayers (and my parents' sanity too!)

WE LOVE YOU E!!

No comments:

Post a Comment