Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

(Correction) Seven Years Ago ...

Its hard to believe that seven years have passed since the Washington Metropolitan Area was in a state of constant fear. There was a sniper on the loose and we were all on the lookout for a white van. Several people lost their lives or were severely wounded and no one knew when the sniper would strike next. I was away at college during this time, but my grandfather was extremely ill at home (near DC). I came home to visit for a weekend and the image of people running from their cars at the gas tank to the station is an image I will never forget. The region was on high alert at all times and for many, scared for their lives. Fast forward seven years: The sniper and his accomplice were caught, have been jailed and put on trial. The accomplice received life in prison since he was a minor and the sniper himself received the death penalty (specifically for killing a man in Virginia where the death penalty is enforced). His execution date is today at 9p.m. For now we wait to see if the governor will pull him off and have him sentenced to life in prison or if he will be able to prove that he is mentally ill. I hope all remember those who lost their life ....

No comments:

Post a Comment