Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Back Track 4

Birthday Celebration: Day 1

I am BIG on birthdays! I absolutely love that there is one day each year where you can celebrate a particular person's life. Some people take a different approach and say "everyone has a birthday so what is the big deal?", but I clearly beg to differ! As I have gotten older, I like to spend my birthday doing all of the things that I love to do, with those I love to spend time with, and just celebrating life. This year, my actual birthday fell on Mothers Day, which automatically meant "an entire weekend to celebrate!!". I always make it a point to take off one day from work close to my birthday so the already anticipated birthday weekend, turned into a 3 day weekend! In addition, my department at work celebrates birthdays by going out for a fun lunch, at the birthday girl's choice restaurant. On the Thursday before my birthday, I selected to go to Bistro Bis in the Hotel George on Capitol Hill for my birthday lunch. I had heard great things about the restaurant and wanted to get in on the action! The weather could not have been more perfect, and we enjoyed an incredible lunch filled with mussels, beet and goat cheese salad, scallops on a bed of pesto risotto and delicious desserts! I loved the clean, modern feel of the restaurant and highly recommend it!

After work, I treated myself to a relaxing manicure and pedicure and then met up with a friend in town from NYC for a relaxing evening. As I mentioned before, the weather was amazing and I knew the perfect place to relax, grab a drink, catch up, and embrace DC life would be at the W Hotel, POV. The view overlooking the monuments and White House is incredible. At night, a dj comes out on the terrace, and the place is filled with votive candles, sassy outfits, and dropped jaws. Gentleman seated at a table were oh so kind to give us a fun couch and a side table to rest our feet as we overlooked the sites. We sipped wine and laughed the night away! Here is the view at POV in the daytime:

image from starwoodhotels.com
After the bar closed, we could not stop talking about the perfect weather. Being in the heart of the city, we walked around the desolate streets for a while, seeing all the monuments in their empty, calm state. It was a really neat night, and like nothing I had ever done before!!

A great way to kick off my birthday celebrations!!

1 comment:

  1. okay, i have a thought. i really want to go and have a drink there. that view is AMAZING!!! thank you.

    ReplyDelete