Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Back Track 3

My latest craving! I am a frequent at Trader Joes. Best prices in town = check. My very own reusable bags from there = check. Favorite place for flowers, produce, wine, cheese, bread and GUACAMOLE = check.

I normally never cave in to pre packaged kits. I generally do not think they save me any money and sometimes you do not receive the freshest ingredients, opposed to what you could hand select. However, for the great price of $2.99 (or there abouts - I have seen it priced a bit higher or lower at different locations), I picked up my very own guacamole kit. I got it home, ready to prepare, but then realized that the avocados were not yet ripe. (To ripen avocados quicker, place them in a brown bag with one apple - dont ask, just do.) I waited a few days and then went to town on making my very own guacamole. Much to my surprise, it may be the best guac I have ever had (or can remember). I like that I can control how salty and spicy it is and the pre packaged ingredients were a perfect choice! I know there are several ways to make guac, but I really like what Trader Joes selected. This is what the kit looks like:




Contents:

2 avocados
2 roma tomatoes
1 very small white onion
1 clove garlic
1 jalapeno
1 lime

To prepare:

Finely dice white onion and jalapeno. Mince garlic and combine with onion and jalapeno. Remove pit, scoop out pulp and mash together with garlic, onion and jalapeno. Squeeze and stir juice from lime into mixture (Do your best to squeeze as much juice as possible. Once stirred together, it gives the guac an excellent consistency!). Dice tomatoes and fold in. Salt (and pepper, if desired) as necessary. I put in about 1 teaspoon of salt and it was perfect. Enjoy with, my favorite, Hint of Jalapeno Tostitos!

Makes about 2 cups. (or one "Me Serving" ... just kidding ... maybe .. depends on how much the show or movie captures my attention aka: makes me lose track of what I am eating)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment