Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

DC Foodie WannaBe - Part 2

Back in December, I wrote about some of the new restaurants in the city I had tried {you can read about it here}. Boy, do I have an update. Since I returned home from vacation in July, my life has been filled with more restaurant reservations than trips to the gym. Although I feel very fortunate and have loved the time with my friends, family and coworkers, the buttons on my pants aren't quite as happy. Just a run down of the great places I have been (more for documenting purposes than anything because lets face it, I know you don't care nearly as much as I do about the food scene in Washington DC).

  • Alero (website) - Mexican restaurant in the heart of Cleveland Park. Great happy hour specials and a casual environment with fun outdoor seating.

  • Zaytinya (website) - Lebonese / Turkish / Mediterranean restaurant in Penn Quarter. This is my new favorite restaurant and the current executive chef, Mike Isabella, was on Top Chef Season 6! I met Mike Isabella at the Washingtonian Best Of party (more info) a few weeks ago. Check it out:
  • Proof (website) - Contemporary wine bar and restaurant in Penn Quarter that knocked my socks off. I highly recommend this for the wine-o in your life! While you're there, don't forget to check out the bathrooms!
  • Cedar (website) - New, contemporary restaurant in Penn Quarter with executive chef, Andy Kitko (I think I met Andy at the Best Of party. Andy, was that you? Were you not telling me that you were the executive chef when I was picking your brain?? oh Andy.) This is a great lunch spot and I craved the meal days later.
  • PS 7's (website) - Contemporary restaurant in Penn Quarter that I am not going to spend my time critiquing. I have read rave reviews on Washingtonian, Zagat, and other foodie blogs, but I just did not have a good experience with the cuisine. It will take a lot to get me back there, but with all of the other great places I have visited, one bad apple won't bring the bushel down. haha!
  • Fogo de Chao (website) - This Brazilian steakhouse is my favorite in town! You know the deal, incredible salad bar and unlimited meat. Oh dear!
  • Asia Nine Bar & Lounge (website) - Fantastic modern yet authentic Asian restaurant!! Casual setting with an excellent menu variety. I will definitely be making this a more frequent visit because I am coming after you Sizzling Beef. Yes you!
  • Ping Pong Dim Sum (website) - oh. emmmm. geeee. I had my doubts. In fact, I was beyond skeptical, but I absolutely loved it. I have no idea what was ordered for the table, but everything I tried was fantastic. Above and beyond the excellent food and service, the restaurant and bar were very modern, energetic and vibrant. I am looking forward to returning! It is located two blocks from the Verizon Center in Chinatown!
  • Vidalia (website) - First, let me start by saying I LOVE RESTAURANT WEEK! It is officially Restaurant Week and my mom did not disappoint in grabbing an incredible reservation so the family could participate. Some RW menu's give you very little options or very uninspiring dishes. Oh, but not Vidalia. I have been wanting to try Vidalia for some time, and boy was RW a great time to do so. The ambience was so nice, the wine tastings were perfect, but the food. Oh the food. I don't know where to begin. It was incredible from start to finish. Between the cool watermelon gazpacho, sweet corn chowder, the heirloom tomato and the "beet salad" (it wasn't really called this, but it was my favorite part), I was in heaven on the first course. Our main dishes were even better including shrimp & grits, glazed pork chop with crawfish & pork belly, an incredible four plate vegetarian dish and bbq beef braised short ribs that disappeared faster than I could get my fork on them. Should I even tell you what we had for dessert? At this point, we couldn't pass up dessert. Not to mention, RW menu's include dessert and I am so thankful for the person who made that part of the menu mandatory, especially at Vidalia. We had a peach & blackberry cobler, georgia pecan tart, "sweet potato pie" and a buttermilk chocolate layer cake. And then we requested four wheel chairs To-Go. You must go to Vidalia.
  • Againn (website) - Here, I mentioned a new gastropub that popped up my neck of the woods. I have been keeping it on my radar and a lunch meeting today made for the perfect opportunity to visit Againn. It is still Restaurant Week, therefore I was required to have a three-course meal. The bread at Againn is SO good and I would have almost passed up my first course (a nice green salad) to eat an entire loaf (with soft butter = key). I ordered a crispy chicken sandwich as my second course but I heard their Vegetarian Mash was amazing. But, I write to inform you that the desserts at Againn blow it out of the water. Served in mason jars (with lids, ahh so cute), are some incredible desserts. This place is a must if you're looking for great decor, a good beer and a great dessert!

In the past few weeks, I have also visited the infamous Melting Pot, Faccia Luna, Glory Days, Mimi's Cafe, Cafe Deluxe, Bittersweet Cafe, and O'Connells, just to name a few. It is time I give it a rest. If you draw any conclusion, please keep in mind that I am loving life!

No comments:

Post a Comment