Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Year In Review

I almost can't believe I am writing this post. Is it really the end of 2010? Have 12 months passed? All 365 days have come and gone? It can't be true. I really struggle with endings and "goodbye's" and New Years Eve is no exception. Let's do a little recap of some of the highs (and lows) of 2010:

January:
The first day of the year was really tough for me as I had to find the strength to send my sister off to Germany to live and live her life. The world felt the sadness over the disastrous earthquake in Haiti, and friends and I gathered to raise money to support the cause. We hosted a Haiti Relief party at a local bar and all of the door fees went to Doctors Without Borders. Fortunately my sister had a change of heart on Germany and returned to the states just in time to enjoy the party! We had our first snowstorm of the year (2nd of the season), I had my first brunch at Whitlows on Wilson, and did some snow drinking with new friends. I went to NYC for a long weekend where I went to my very first symphony, and had one of my favorite dinners of the year at Blue Hill Farm.
February:

We had our second snowstorm of the year (3rd of the season) which broke records for DC, emptied the grocery store to bare bones, and granted me a week off work. I had a sweet Valentines Day spent with my family at WillowCreek Farms. Unfortunately, my firm experienced a tragedy with the loss of one of our long time partners and I witnessed (and learned) the quick response.

March:
We celebrated Nicole's pregnancy with an adorable shower for Baby Shay. Had beautiful weather for St. Patricks Day where I spotted Mrs. Obama and the First Pup, but not so great weather for the Four Courts Four Miler in Courthouse. Instead of running, I opted to help set up the race and had a great time enjoying a beer and cheering on the winners! The soon-to-be Mrs. Murray had a beautiful surprise bridal shower at the Georgetown Club where I even received a private tour of the wine cellar and each dining room. So posh! The end of the month provided tank top weather so roof top drinking was in full effect.
April:
I convinced the family to join me in DC while the cherry blossoms were in full bloom. We took tons of pictures around the tidal basin, and ended our evening with a meal at Old Ebbitt and a huge horse in the window. My Charleston love, Lindsey, visited us "hometown girls" for a fun dinner in Clarendon, and the K Fam made our annual venture to Marco Island, FL. Since I flew down a day later than the rest of the fam, I scored a first class seat and met the wife of the president of the company I used to work for (did you follow me on that one?)!!! In Marco, the family shared more laughs on the beach, dinners at our favorite restaurants, and drives by the most incredible houses I have ever seen. The Murray's became officially married and provided an after party like I have never seen before. Lamp shades on the head anyone? "Table 7" officially became best friends and a term that the Murray's are sure to remember! E and I volunteered to work at Fed Ex Field for the Redskins Draft Day party. We didn't realize we would be selling pieces of the torn down "jumbotron" and we also didn't realize how successful we would be at selling them. We were huge hits and we even had lunch with a few players in Dan Snyders Owners Lounge. Erika's birthday weekend filled with a dance party like no other and a Cargill surprise birthday provided capped off an action-packed month. And remember when dad grew that beard that made everyone crazy?
May:
I have never received more flowers for my birthday than I did this year. It was incredible, and I documented each arrangement. We had a bar crawl in Arlington and one of my bestfriends made the trip up to celebrate with me! I went to my first horse race where I covered my eyes from the actual race but stood front row to see the Zac Brown Band and OAR perform. Dollar beers, dehydration (from said beers), unbelievable outfits, beach volleyball, and the biggest cornhole / beer pong competition ever provided a memorable day. Family came down from Canada and we shared a beautiful dinner at the Georgetown Waterfront, and I tried my very first fried pickle (later named "frickle"). I got free tickets to see Brad Paisley where we tailgated in the pouring rain and ended up with 10 front row tickets, and Memorial Day weekend was spent lounging on the boat docked in Old Town Alexandria. Farmers Market, Apples to Apples and lots of wine. Not a bad introduction to summer ...
June:
I sat 9 rows back at a concert of my favorite boy band growing up, Backstreet Boys. I couldn't believe how many lyrics I still remembered and I didn't care how loud I sang. My parents hosted a family bbq on a 100 degree day, I got a free ticket to the Nationals game where their new "best pitcher" Stephen Strasburg was to pitch. The Nats won and the city went wild. For sure that was the best Nationals ticket to ever have (aside from opening day at the new stadium in 2008 which I also attended or any game played on the 4th of July). World Cup kicked off from South Africa and the town went crazy during USA games.
July:
Pat McGee concert on the lawn at Wolf Trap was epic. Perfect friends, night, music, and wine. Fourth of July weekend on the boat. Again, perfect weather, a fun group of friends/boats, football on the sand barge, and some bbq shrimp I have not yet forgotten about. "The Diaper" was introduced and changed the lives of boaters all summer long. The Tim McGraw concert provided lost car keys and not a great memory of the night (that means "fun", right?), with a week long road trip following. Richmond to OBX to Va Beach was the perfect vacation. I picked crabs for the first time, napped in a hammock, rotated dinner seats because it was the most important thing of the day, and played intense games of Catch Phrase. I met Sadie Grace Southern, rode a bike to the bars, made it home that night with a bruised ego and a beer mug hat, got crushed by two waves that knocked me back down to reality, and drank on the beach all Sunday afternoon. I went to the Washingtonian Best Of party where I tried amazing food from the best restaurants in DC, met Mike Isabella from Top Chef/Zaytinya and dined at over 12 top DC restaurants for free in a three week span. I got "iced" at concerts, in Wheat Thin boxes and on the beach as well as dining VIP at a Washington Kastle event watching John McEnroe.
August:
Farmers markets, boat, farmers market, and more boat. Little red sailboat, naps on the dock, and full weekends of peace and quiet. I said goodbye to my coworker Jaime as she moved to Mississippi, volunteered with the Redskins for the Welcome Home Luncheon at the Ritz Carlton in Tysons Corner, had an enjoyable lunch with my grandmother at her "country club" followed by a 3 hour nap in a rocking chair on her front porch with her graciously by my side. The CHS/Nova girls were lucky enough to find a night to meet for dinner where we ooh'ed and ahh'ed over babies and engagement rings. And I spent one more weekend on the boat and at the farmers market.
September:
We had crabs at Tims Rivershore one afternoon and watched the sunset from our favorite place, Belmont Bay. We all were hyped for the start of Redskins season and my friend Lindsey enjoying her rookie season as a Washington Redskins Cheerleader. My grandmother had a vacation in the hospital, and my sister introduced me to the cutest beach shack, Clare N Dons in Falls Church. I volunteered at Fed Ex Field for an event which set the Guiness Book of World Records for the most kids working out in a "virtual environment". Believe me when I say, kids do not like to exercise for thirty minutes, even if Redskin players are exercising with them. Had dinner in the green room of Fed Ex and enjoyed a scenic trip home passing the Capitol and Jefferson Memorial at sunset. My dear friend Meredith returned to her original stomping grounds for a weekend filled with fun girl time, crazy dances, and a Sugarland Concert that took us back to the good ol' days.


October:
My parents celebrated their 29th wedding anniversay (holy cow that is amazing!!) and I finally did some relaxing. The Kansas Clan came to visit and we enjoyed many laughs and catching up. I added some great "Sunday Funday's" to the book, and had one of my best Halloween's yet. Since Halloween was on a Saturday, I went out Friday and Saturday. {Aside from the funky headband, we had fun picking out our costumes!!) And just like that, October came and went.
November:
I did a bunch of traveling this month. I started out with a day trip to NYC to visit my office. The view of the city from my office's 40th floor made my heart melt. I landed in Houston a few days later without my luggage. I almost died and then quickly realized I was staying at the Four Seasons with a beautiful pool and spa. The trip was quick but a great "amouse bouche" if you will for my next destination, Orlando. I flew from Houston to Orlando where my parents greeted me along with 80 degree weather. Days by the pool, healthy food, a beautiful two bedroom suite and relaxation was in store. We laughed so hard we cried. We visited Magic Kingdom for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Mom and I got absolutely soaked on Splash Mountain and we sipped hot chocolate on main street while watching one of the best Disney parades I have ever seen. We ate our way through Epcot's International Food and Wine Festival, rocked out to the Big Bad Voodoo Daddies and devoured French pastries (and needed a wheelchair to get to the car... just kidding... almost). Moroccan keftas and Polish pierogi's were a hit amongst "the judges". We celebrated dad's birthday with a home cooked meal by yours truly. We laughed (can you believe it?) as we played with noise makers and drank a few too many bottles of wine. We volunteered with the 15th annual Turkey Outreach at McLean Bible Church and before we knew it, we were packed in the car for our trip to Boston, MA. We had an extra guest at mom's birthday dinner, Sam Adams, and we topped it off with a few dance parties!
December:
A whirlwind. A snow storm, work events, birthday parties, holiday cookie making, and an incredible Christmas.

What can I say? It has been an incredible year. Aside from the pictures and events, I personally feel like I am a different person than I was one or two years ago. Last year was spent getting back on my feet but this year was spent enjoying life. I worked on strengthening my friendships and I truly believe I have created friendships that will last a lifetime. Sarah, Kim and I were consistent with our monthly girl dinners that lasted hours and left others wondering if we were alive. I received a promotion in June which has provided an excellent challenge and a firm direction for my career. I committed myself to my involvement within my church by volunteering with the 30-36 month preschoolers each Sunday. It has given me a new perspective on life as I am able to spend a few hours a week looking through the eyes of a three year old. I completed two courses of McLean University, filmed a short segment which aired during all services to encourage others to deepen their walk, and I participated in my very first Small Group. I learned a lot about myself this year. I realized how important family and friends are to my personal well being. I realized that in order to "receive", I have to give. I realized life is a lot sweeter when you look on the bright side. I discovered Andy Stanley and never want to forget a message he once preached: Spend your today's creating the life story you want to tell. This year I was truly able to reflect on God's plan for me. I came to terms with some of the struggles He placed before me, and I now rest assured I am right where I am supposed to be. I am filled with peace, and confidence that He will provide me with what I need in life on His time, not mine. So long 2010. You were good to me and I will never forget you. (as I hold back the tears....)

2 comments:

  1. WOW! What a great post to capture the year! Great photos too! :) PS: I just posted my next FREE BLOG GIVEAWAY! :) SKV6.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a safe and fun NYE! I loved looking at your photos and year in review =)

    ReplyDelete