Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Musings for a rainy day.

Oh my word, it is raining. 

1.  I am a huge fan of "oh my word" these days.  I use it often.
2.  Kris.10's hair + rain = no bueno. 
3.  Rain = wellies. I never turn down an opportunity to wear my wellies.

It does make for a relaxing day in the office full of lots of non productive items such as day dreaming, re-organizing my desk, contemplating plan design changes for my 401(k) and making lists. 

Oh, guess what?

Ever since I spilled my guts about life lately, I can not count the number of people I have talked to who have generally felt the same way.  Something is going on.   

Fortunately, things have improved.  They may not have done a 180, but I certainly feel much more energized and full of life.  A little "pep in my step" as some would say.   Coming from a girl who has been a tad under the weather, needs a BodyPump class stat, and who has been a bit disgruntled with the 9-5, I would say we are doing pretty good here folks!

So what changed? uhhh.......

hmmm......

{thinking .... really? What is the point of this blog if you can't provide some encouragement and insight for others? uhhh? nothing? Thats all you can come up with? Sweet.  Sweet post.}

No but really, I had to make a decision.  Be sad, complain, mope, and lay around like the world is coming to an end or get up, think positive, be thankful, and move along.  Yee haw! It is amazing how the little things are a lot more attractive with this sort of attitude.  I am very thankful I remembered this solution to my problem.  {mental note: store it in my back pocket for future melt downs.  My female hormones are bound to throw a few more (million) my way}

To incorporate my lovely list making and my positive attitude, I present to you:

Kris.10's Thursday Happy List

1. That title took a lot of thought.  Creative, right? No? Effective? Yep! Score!
2.  I seriously have removed everything from my calendar that was causing stress or not making me happy.  Sorry friends if I have cancelled any plans that disappoint you.  I'm typically not one to cancel.  I'm also one to get stressed over little things.  I made an executive decision, and I am rolling with it. My first victim: Remove long distance races from the calendar.  Remember when I said I didn't feel like running but would rather enjoy gym classes? I resolved my own stress right there.  Cancel the races, hit the gym.  Magic.
3. Music makes my heart skip a bit.  I saw this clip on In No Simple Language and it hit home during a moment when "home" had the door wide open. (Confession: My mom first introduced me to this song over the sunner.  I made fun of it.  Now I secretly blast it in my car.  When momma finds out this made the ol' blog, I am pretty sure I am going to hear about it.  I think an "I told ya so" is right around the corner.)


Isn't it amazing?

4. Reeeeeeee-lax, stop, enjoy the latte, and smile over the season.  Seriously? I love, love, loveee summer, but fall brings a huge smile to my face.  Why be sad during a favorite time of year? I have all January, February and March for sadness.  Pumpkin Spice Lattes for now! Agree?
5.  So I am anti-working out these days.  Not really, but it is taking a lot more motivation to get me there than it normally does.  I heard that a great way to burn extra calories is to turn on your favorite music and just dance.  Who's the genius? So yeah, I turned on some tunes and got to dancing.  Actually, I didn't have to force myself to dance.  I think my body has mini convulsions when music is played.  To the point that I sometimes end up infront of a mirror and make myself laugh at the sight.  It dawned on me.  If this sight makes me laugh.  It will make others laugh too.  I really should record myself one time.  That'd be some good material right there, eh? My kids in 25 years will love to get a hold of that.  Who wants to join me? 
6. I have no desire to dress up for Halloween this year.  I heart Halloween, but I am not hearting the hunt for a costume.  {Revert to item 2 on my list} Please don't call me a party pooper.  I think I will fall for the pumpkin patch and pumpkin baking in place of costume shopping.  Party City has a funky smell this time of year and those make shift dressing rooms creep me out as it is.    
7.  This work week cannot end without noting the incredible lunch I had at J&G Steakhouse in the W hotel on Tuesday. Oh my word! (see, there I go again) A coworker and I had the incredible opportunity to have a meal with an event planner at the W hotel.  The purpose of the lunch was for my coworker and I to get a feel for the food that is served throughout the hotel.  I had no clue what I was getting myself into.  The three of us ordered a few items from each category.  Sorry, but no pictures here.  (that would have been rude at a corporate lunch.  Just as rude as the guy sitting next to me who licked his knife clean! Didn't his momma teach him better?)

Appetizers:

Crispy calamari, pickled chilies and yuzu dip
Rice cracker crusted tuna with citrus chili sauce
Jumbo lump crabcake with citrus sauce
Steamed shrimp salad with champagne dressing (entree portion)

Entrees:

Salmon, sauteed potatoes, black olive and passion fruit glaze
Seared Atlantic halibut, scallion chili sauce
8 oz. filet mignon with bearnaise, black pepper jam and soy miso mustard
Mashed potatoes
Grilled asparagus

Desserts:

Apple crumble with cinnamon icecream
Raspberry sunday, cream cheese icecream, raspberry sorbey and whipped cream
Signature cheesecake
Warm chocolate cake with vanilla bean icecream

Heaven.  I did not eat for the next 24 hours.  I cannot wait to go back and I send you all off with the suggestion to try J&G if you are ever in DC, looking for a great steak house near the White House, or you just want to try everything I had!

I'm off to go splash in the puddles, wearing my wellies .... in my day dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment